Friday 12 September 2014

Annotated Catalogue

The portrayal of violence in the films of Quentin Tarantino can be viewed as comically excessive. To what extent can this qualify the director as an auteur?

Films
Item 1
Kill Bill Volume 1 - (2003) Director - Quentin Tarantino
I chose this film as it shows the clear auteur traits of Tarantino that my questions focuses on: an excessive use of violence during the protagonist's quest for revenge from not only the protagonist but also the foes that stand in her way. It also has other traits of Tarantino's auteur presence as it shows the main character on a quest for revenge and contains the non-diegetic use of western music. This is very useful to my question as it contains scenes of excessive violence, such as: the fight between the bride, Lucy Lou and the Crazy 88 and also the fight scene between The bird and Copperhead.

Item 2
Django Unchained - (2012) Director - Quentin Tarantino
I chose this film as it also shows excessive violence in the protagonist's quest. However, this film is run by Django's quest to find his wife, instead of revenge like item 1. This film is also from a male protagonist's point of view and based around a historical event that caused even more controversy than Tarantino's violence does. This film is very useful to my question as it shows violence in scenes, such as: the confrontation between Django and the Brittle Brothers and between Django and the people in Candy Land.

Item 3
Inglorious Basterds - (2009) Director - Quentin Tarantino
I chose this film as, yet again, it shows the use of excessive violence throughout the film during the protagonists' quest. And much like Item 2, Inglorious Basterds is also based on historical events which Tarantino blows out of proportion with his excessive violence. However, this film has more than one protagonist on a quest for revenge, it has a whole group of people all affected by the same events and seeking revenge. This film is very useful for answering my question as it has scenes, such as: when shushseana blows up her cinema and when the Basterds are introduced.

Websites
Item 4
thewire.com - (2013) Tarantino's views on violence
I chose this web-link as it is an article containing Quentin Tarantino's views on violence and movies. It is very useful as it clearly gives his opinion on the controversy of the violence in his films since 1993 and shows quotes from Tarantino in other interviews as sources, such as Item 5. It also shows Tarantino's frustration at people linking the violence in his movies to violence in real life which is also useful in answering my question as it backs up why he uses violence in his films.

Item 5
Channel4.com
I chose this web-link as it is an article containing research on Tarantino's opinion on violence as a whole. This link is useful as it gives me lots of quotes by Tarantino over the years but also gives his opinion on people's criticism towards his persistent, excessive use of violence. This link is also useful as it gives an opinion on Tarantino and his directing from the view of someone who isn't Quentin's biggest fan, this gives me a mix of opinions to my piece. It also discusses Item 2 that I am looking at.

Item 6
thedailybeast.com (2013)
I chose this weblink as it includes a report explaining Tarantino's "infatuation" with violence and tries to explain why he uses such graphic violence in his movies, which will be very useful towards my question as it gives me more of an insight to the opinions of Tarantino's violence by critics. It also links to the report in Item 5.

Item 7
miramax.com (2013)
I chose this weblink as it goes into detail about just how excessive Tarantino's movie violence is. This will be useful for answering my question as it shows statistics of how many brutal deaths there are for each of his movies and through the use of a pictogram, shows the methods of violent deaths that are used during each film. This Item also includes statistics on Items 1, 2 & 3.

Item 8
bfi.org.uk
I chose this weblink as it is a very unique take on why Tarantino uses such excessive violence in his films. I feel this will be useful to answering my question as instead of taking the approach that Tarantino uses violence simply for violence sake, this reporter seems to think that Tarantino has a strange attraction to the violence in his own movies and debates whether some of the violence is really necessary in some of his movies. This report also looks into scenes from Items 1, 2 & 3.

Magazines
Item 9
Telegraph - (2010) Violences and Audiences - Tarantino
I chose this article as it gives Tarantino's reasons for why he enjoys using excessive movie violence. This works with my question as it justifies why he uses such graphic violence to capture his audience, despite the controversy it causes.

Youtube
Item 10
Newspoliticstoday - Debate on the correlation between film violence and real life violence (2012)
I chose this debate as it give facts and figures about the correlation between movie violence and real life violence which is useful to my question as it shows a view of whether Tarantino is right for his reasoning behind why he uses violence. It also discusses Item 2 that I am looking at.

Item 11
Kron 4 news - Interview with Tarantino (2009)
I chose this interview as Jan discusses with Tarantino why he uses movie violence and the audiences he aims it at. This is useful to my question as it it gives two views in one video on Tarantino's violence and also tells you why Tarantino chooses to use such controversial violence. It also discusses Item 1 that I am looking at as it is a promotional interview for Tarantino's movie: Kill Bill Vol.1, where they discuss whether the violence is really appropriate.

Interviews
Item 12
BBC4 - Tarantino Talks to Kirsty Walk
I chose this interview as it goes into detail of why and how Tarantino uses excessive violence and his view on the controversial views people have on his movies. This is a very useful video as it also involves statements about Items 1, 2 & 3 and relates directly to my question by discussing the level of violence in all three films.

Books
Item 13
Quintessential Tarantino by Edwin Page
I chose this book as it tells you how the violence in Item 1 differs from the violence in Tarantino's other films. I thought this would be useful to answer my question as it gives an example that maybe he doesn't stick to the same patterns as even in his violence he differs between movies and it also contains quotes that I can use in my presentation.

Item 14
Tarantino by Jim Smith
I chose this book as it gives you information on how Tarantino created the violence in Item 1. I thought this would be useful as the gives a contradiction to what Tarantino has said about his view on violence by Uma Thurman, showing that Tarantino pushes the boundaries of real life violence to get the violence he wants in his films. The author also seems to find Tarantino's violence controversial and makes a point of commenting on his opinions of Tarantino's "Fantasy land" violence which are quotes that I can use in my presentation to answer my question.

Item 15
Film Studies: The Essential Guide by Peter Bennett, Andrew Hickman and Peter Wall
I chose this book as it has a section on Auteurs and Auteur theory which is relevant to answering my question. I found this very useful as it explains the Auteur theory and explains the ideas behind it with extracts from the original Auteur theory: Une Certaine Tendence Du Cinema Francais by Francois Truffaut. This will be useful to quote in my presentation to give more evidence to Tarantino's excessive violence making him an Auteur.

Rejected Items
Movie
Pulp Fiction - (1994) - Director: Quentin Tarantino
I chose not to use this item as it doesn't show as much excessive violence as Items 1, 2 & 3 and also contains some topics that I personally find very sensitive and this made me uncomfortable with watching this film in great detail.

Interview
Tarantino Talks to Johnathon Ross
I chose not to use this interview as it is predominately Johnathon Ross pointing out that Tarantino copies many old Asian movies and references lots of other films including his own. This has no relevance to my question and doesn't talk about why Tarantino uses such excessive violence or the views on it.

Interview
Jon Stewart interviews Quentin Tarantino
I chose not to use this interview as it is just Tarantino publisising his movie, Pulp Fiction. Which isn't an Item I am using in my report and the interview also has nothing to do with his excessive us of violence.

Movie
Jackie Brown - (1994) - Director: Quentin Tarantino
I chose not to use this movie as it has the least deaths of Tarantino's movies and doesn't show the controversy of his excessive use of violence due to the fact that all of the deaths happen off screen.

No comments:

Post a Comment